Young, and yet steeped in tradition. Although the EGMA Caldaro Fruit Growers’ Co-operative has only been in formal existence since 2003, it was created from the merger of two venerable predecessors. OG Caldaro was founded in 1954 as a reaction to the powerful fruit dealers who monopolized the market at that time. The ERZEUGERGROSSMARKT EGMA UNTERLAND was set up in 1968.
Both co-operatives grew steadily in the following years and therefore both required new warehouses and processing halls. In 2003 they finally decided to join forces. 2004 saw the construction of new offices, sorting and packaging halls as well as a 9 track sorting system. The entire workspace was completely renovated in the following year.
Today the EGMA Caldaro Co-operative has 518 members who cultivate a total of 641,23 hectares of land. Their average annual production is an impressive 41,000 tonnes of dessert fruit that is exported to more than 30 countries, but primarily to Germany and Italy. The critical feature is the quality of the fruit. 90% meets the strict EurepGap standard whereas the remaining 10% fulfils the criteria for integrated production which are only marginally less stringent. Every one of this co-operative's members has "geographically protected cultivation".