There is a long tradition of fruit growing in South Tyrol - Südtirol. As early as the 16th century, couriers transported fresh fruit and preserves along the Etschtal Valley to the Austrian and Russian courts. The opening of the Brenner railway in 1867 provided a triumphant entry into Europe. Following an increase in sales, the first fruit cooperative was founded in Lagundo in 1893, which was soon followed by many others. Not even the Second World War was able to halt the success of fruit produced in South Tyrol - Südtirol. On 24 August 1945, embracing the motto ‘Unity is strength’, many cooperatives formed a new consortium.
This was how VOG, the Consortium of South Tyrolean Fruit Growers’ Cooperatives, was founded.
From the initial 9 cooperatives, it quickly grew into the largest apple marketing organisation in all of Europe, currently comprising 11 cooperatives. This includes 4,600 producers who, in an area of around 10,900 hectares, harvest between 550,000 and 600,000 tonnes of top-quality, excellent-tasting fruit.